help_outline Skip to main content
HomeBlogsRead Blog

Bay of Fundy Cruise

FCC Radio Operator's Permit and Station license
By Dennis L McKay
Posted on 3/27/2018 10:47 PM
All boats cruising to Canada this summer must obtain an FCC issued Restricted Radiotelephone (RR) Operator's Permit and Ship's Radio Station license.  You will need to first register online with the FCC's Commission Registration System (CORES) and obtain a federal registration number (FRN).  With the FRN, then you can obtain online through the FCC's Universal Licensing System (ULS), the required operator's permit and station license.  The FCC radio license requires an FCC issued MMSI.  An MMSI obtained otherwise (Boat US, et. al.) are not acceptable.  You will also need to supply your EPIRB 15 character code.

See the documents in the sub-folder "FCC Radio license" in the BWSC Cruise Directory (see Blog #3 for access).  The Word Doc has the link to the FCC web site to start the application process.  Use the other documents first to review instructions and overall process directions.

You will be issued a radio station call sign (7 letters), and a new MMSI (if needed).  You must enter the new MMSI into your onboard radio, and you must update your EPIRB database entry with the new MMSI and FCC issued radio call sign.